Mechanical Engineer for Industrial Collaborative Robots - [ Technical ]Added on: 10/07/2020 - Expires on 31/08/2020
We are looking for a full-time mechanical engineer (fixed term contract) with proven experience in mechanical design, testing and development of robotic systems, with particular focus on activities related to the development of robotic systems for human robot interaction and cooperation, as for example collaborative robots.
The selected candidate will join an interdisciplinary team at the Intellimech-IIT joint lab (JOiiNT LAB), which has the objective of strengthen the IIT technology transfer mission, bridging research activities and industrial needs. JOiiNT LAB core activities are in the field of mechatronics, collaborative robotics, wearable and immersive tele-presence systems for inspection and maintenance. The JOiiNT LAB is located in the heart of Kilometro Rosso Innovation District in Bergamo.
Involved PIs and Research Lines:
Manuel Catalano - Soft Robotics for Human Cooperation and Rehabilitation
Nikos Tsagarakis - Humanoid and Human Centered Mechatronics
Arash Ajoudani - Human Robot Interfaces and Physical Interaction
The successful candidate will have a key role in the design of mechatronic systems, testing, and development of advanced robotics systems, focusing primarily on the development of technological solution for collaborative robots for human-robot physical interaction. Among other duties, the incumbent will be responsible for determining mechanical, electrical and sensing interfaces, definition of specifications and requirements, and testing.
- Experience in the mechanical design of robotic systems with multiple degrees of freedom, including study design of the overall mechatronic architecture.
- Experience in production of small series and realization of prototypes.
- Experience in developing and testing robotic devices.
- Creativity thinking.
- Team player with good oral and written communication skills (English language).
- Willingness to integrate into a multidisciplinary, dynamic, international research group.
- Highly motivated.
Experience in the following fields is preferred:
- Experience in the field of collaborative robots.
- Technologies for production and realization of mechanical prototypes and small series.
- FEM analysis.
- CAM design.
- Device testing and benchmarking.
- Knowledge and experience with sensors, e.g. position sensors, F/T sensors, accelerometers, surface EMG sensors.
- Excellent knowledge of mechanical design software (e.g. PTC CREO, ANSYS, MASTERCAM).
- Knowledge of control software (e.g. Matlab).
Specific responsibilities of the job would include the following:
- Design, optimization and testing of collaborative robots, wearable interfaces, sensors and actuation components.
- Interact with and evaluate suppliers of custom and off the shelf mechanical components.
- Generate detailed technical documentation for mechanical parts production and assembly.
- Collaborate with other engineering disciplines (electronics, software and control) to ensure the successful integration of their designs with the rest of the system.
The salary will depend on qualifications and experience and will include additional health benefits.
Workplace: Bergamo, JOiiNT LAB / Genova, IIT.
The activities will be carried out across Genoa IIT headquarters and the JOiiNT LAB spaces at Kilometro Rosso Innovation District in Bergamo. Specifically, the successful candidate is expected to work for the first period in IIT headquarters in Genoa, and afterwards to be located mainly in the JOiiNT LAB in Bergamo.
Application Documents: interested applicants meeting the requirements outlined above must submit their application including a detailed CV and cover letter, outlining motivation, experience and qualifications.
The complete application documents must be submitted via email to email@example.com . This position will remain open until 31/08/2020. Make sure your application is considered by quoting (Mechanical Engineer for Industrial Collaborative Robots CB 78559) in the email subject.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, with its headquarters in Genova, Italy, is a non-profit institution with the primary goal of creating and disseminating scientific knowledge and strengthening Italy’s technological competitiveness. The institute offers state-of-the-art equipment and a top-level interdisciplinary research environment focused on robotics and computer vision, neuroscience, drug discovery, nanoscience and technology.
Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that actively seeks diversity in the workforce.
We inform you that the data you provide will be processed for the sole purpose of evaluating professional profiles and selecting them according to the needs of the Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia. Your data will be processed by the Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, based in Genova, Via Morego, 30, as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security. We also inform you that, pursuant to article 15 and following articles of EU Regulation 2016/679 ("General Data Protection Regulation"), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the Data Protection Officer (telephone 010 28961 - email: dpo[at]iit.it).